Tingling sensation and stiffness
Here is an example of how to choose Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang.
A patient in her mid-thirties came in with right side body discomfort. She reported tingling sensations in her right arm and shoulder, as well as stiffness in her right leg and foot. Her left side was completely normal.
Although there was no limitation on her ability to move her arms or shoulder, she felt something flowing down her right arm and shoulder. She also expresses discomfort with a mild stiffness in her right foot ankle and arm elbow.
She claimed that the sensations of tingling and stiffness occurred while she was lifting something heavy. Movement makes it worse, while rest makes it better.
Other symptoms and signs
Here are some more symptoms and signs:
Mental and emotional state
- She is sensitive and easily frustrated.
- She feels sad and depressed.
- She has a weak stomach.
- She feels car sick if she is not driving.
- She has loose bowel and frequent bowel movement.
- She has loose bowel when she drinks beer, alcohol, spicy food and oily food. She also does when she is stressed out.
- She always has frequent urination. She sometimes has weak urine flow.
- Her menstrual cycle is sometimes regular. She always has clots with menstrual cycle. She sometimes has menstrual cramps.
- She drinks water for dry mouth, thirst and health.
- When she has a cold, she has a sore throat, chills and body aches.
- Her body always runs cold. The subjective temperature is 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the coldest.
- She always shivers with cold. She always feels cold in the lower abdomen. Her feet feel cold.
- She feels tired all the time and easily get tired.
- When she is tired and overuses her voice, she has a sore throat and a hoarse voice.
- When she is tired, she has dry lips.
- Her neck and shoulder always feels sore and heavy.
- She easily has swelling on the whole body.
Tongue, abdomen and pulses
- Her tongue has a thin white coating with red spots on the front.
- Palpation of the abdomen reveals discomfort around the left inguinal region and beneath the right ribcage.
- Her pulses at the front neck show yang excess compared to the pulses at the wrist. All the pulses at the wrists feel strong pressure with tight and hard quality at the right guan. Right wrist pulses are stronger than left wrist pulses.
Following are the acupuncture points I used during the first session.:
Left) LI4-, LV3+, ST36-, GB41-, BL60-, SI5-, LI5-
Right) LI4-, LV3+, LV1-, SP3-, KI2-, HT8-, PC8-, LU8-, SJ2+
I altered the acupuncture points for each session based on the pulse presentations.
Herbal medicine treatment
sheng jiang 16g, da zao 12g, gui zhi 6g, bai shao 6g, dang gui 6g, wu zhu yu 4g, mu tong 4g, gan cao 4g
I have her take 5g twice a day in granular herbal formula. I increase the dosage to 6g twice a day later.
The tingling sensation in her right arm and shoulder as well as the stiffness in her right leg and foot have been resolved. All of her other symptoms, including swelling, indigestion, mental and emotional state, bowel movement, urine, feeling chilly, and nausea, have disappeared.
Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang
Dang Gui Si Ni Tang is combined with wu zhu yu and sheng jiang to create the herbal formula, Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang.
The major symptoms of Dang Gui Si Ni Tang include cold sensation in extremities, or swelling, urination difficulty or acid reflux. Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang has additional symptoms, such as cold sensation in the lower abdomen or nauseousness, vomiting or fullness in the chest, due to wu zhu yu and sheng jiang.