Tingling sensation and stiffness
Here is a case study of treating tingling sensation treated with Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang.
A patient in her mid-thirties came in with right-side body discomfort. She reported tingling sensations in her right arm and shoulder and stiffness in her right leg and foot. Her left side was completely normal.
Although there was no limitation on her ability to move her arms or shoulder, she felt something flowing down her right arm and shoulder. She also expresses discomfort with mild stiffness in her right ankle and arm elbow.
She claimed that the sensations of tingling and stiffness occurred while lifting something heavy. Movement makes it worse, while rest makes it better.
Other symptoms and signs
Here are some more symptoms and signs:
Mental and emotional state
- She is sensitive and easily frustrated.
- She feels sad and depressed.
- She has a weak stomach.
- She feels car sick if she is not driving.
- She has loose bowels and frequent bowel movements.
- She has a loose bowel when she drinks beer, alcohol, spicy food, and oily food. She also does it when she is stressed out.
- She always has frequent urination. She sometimes has weak urine flow.
- Her menstrual cycle is occasionally regular. She always has clots with her menstrual cycle. She sometimes has menstrual cramps.
- She drinks water for dry mouth, thirst, and health.
- She has a sore throat, chills and body aches when she has a cold.
- Her body always runs cold. The subjective temperature is 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the coldest.
- She always shivers with cold. She always feels cold in the lower abdomen. Her feet feel cold.
- She feels tired all the time and quickly gets tired.
- When she is tired and overuses her voice, she has a sore throat and a hoarse voice.
- When she is tired, she has dry lips.
- Her neck and shoulder always feel painful and heavy.
- She quickly swells her whole body.
Tongue, abdomen, and pulses
- Her tongue has a thin white coating with red spots on the front.
- Palpation of the abdomen reveals discomfort around the left inguinal region and beneath the right ribcage.
- Her pulses at the front neck show yang excess compared to those at the wrist. All the pulses at the wrists feel intense pressure with tight and stiff quality at the right guan. The right wrist pulses are more robust than the left wrist pulses.
Following are the acupuncture points I used during the first session.:
Left) LI4-, LV3+, ST36-, GB41-, BL60-, SI5-, LI5-
Right) LI4-, LV3+, LV1-, SP3-, KI2-, HT8-, PC8-, LU8-, SJ2+
I altered the acupuncture points for each session based on the pulse presentations.
Herbal medicine treatment
sheng jiang 16g, da zao 12g, gui zhi 6g, bai shao 6g, dang gui 6g, wu zhu yu 4g, mu tong 4g, gan cao 4g
I have her take 5g twice daily in a granular herbal formula. I increased the dosage to 6g twice a day later.
The tingling sensation in her right arm and shoulder and the stiffness in her right leg and foot have been resolved. All of her other symptoms, including swelling, indigestion, mental and emotional state, bowel movement, urine, feeling chilly, and nausea, have disappeared.
Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang
Dang Gui Si Ni Tang is combined with wu zhu yu and sheng jiang to create the herbal formula, Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang.
The primary symptoms of Dang Gui Si Ni Tang include cold sensation in extremities, swelling, urination difficulty, or acid reflux. Dang Gui Si Ni Jia Wu Zhu Yu Sheng Jiang Tang has additional symptoms, such as a cold sensation in the lower abdomen or nausea, vomiting, or fullness in the chest, due to wu zhu yu and sheng jiang.
We are located in Beaverton, Oregon. We treat mind and body issues using natural herbal granules and acupuncture.